(KTVI)-Are you hosting a Memorial Day or summer picnic and looking for some new ideas? Chon Tomlin with Save-A-Lot stores has some ideas for you that won’t cost you your entire summer budget.
Here is an example of a menu that serves six and costs under $30 to prepare:
Senora Verde Salsa con Queso
Fruit salad with sliced apples and grapes in a lettuce cup
Grilled corn on the cob
Grilled pork chops with onions and Roma tomatoes
Ginger Evans Deluxe Chocolate Chunk Fudge Brownies with strawberries and Coburn Farms Whipped Cream
Website: Save-A-Lot Food Stores
Recipe: Grilled pork chops with onions and Roma tomatoes
1 lb. plum tomatoes, chopped
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. chopped garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 pork chops
1. Combine the relish ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
2. Light your grill on high. Oil the grill’s cooking surface. After heated, adjust to medium.
3. Arrange the pork chops in an 8-inch square baking dish. Drain the liquid from the relish and spoon it over the pork. Let the pork marinate in this for at least 15 minutes, turning a few times.
4. Place the pork on the grill and cook until they are somewhat firm to the couch, barely white at the center, about 4 minutes per side.
5. Remove the chops to plates, spoon the relish over and serve immediately.