My homemade cinnamon rolls are a family favorite at my house. I usually only make them once a year. They are a bit of work but well worth it, especially on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning the perfect touch.
Margie’s Cinnamon Rolls
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
What you need to do:
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, and let stand for 3 minutes. Add cake mix, 1 cup flour, eggs, oil, and salt; beat well. Stir in remaining flour until a soft dough forms.
Knead on well floured surface for about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the dough surface. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Punch down, and divide into two equal parts. Roll out each section on a lightly floured surface. Spread each with softened butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
3. Roll up like jelly rolls and cut buns 1 1/2 inches thick with a piece of dental floss or a dull knife. Place in greased baking pans, and allow to rise until doubled.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, combine confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, vanilla, and milk. Remove baked buns from oven and drizzle with frosting.