ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – Afraid of the dentist? You’re not alone! In studies conducted by the American Association of Endodontists, approximately 80 percent of Americans are afraid of the dentist. Five to 10 percent are so afraid, they avoid dental visits altogether.
This means they never get to meet dentists like Dr. Jeff Dalin. Some dentists approach fear with humor, others with sedation. Dr. Jeff Dalin promotes knowlege about the situation.
New research from the University of Gothenburg has tips to hep you with your visit to the dentist.
Website – DFDASmiles.com
According to their research you should:
- Distract: Play Angry Birds on your phone or do mental exercises.
- Distance: Tell yourself that the pain sensation feels like something else, such as numbness.
- Familiarize: Hold the instruments before the procedure. This can help decrease the anxiety associated with the instruments.
- Discovery: Find out if your dentist has any suggestions/devices to decrease your anxiety.
- Optimism: Think ahead to when the treatment is over and you can leave.