ST. LOUIS (KTVI) – We know that getting too much sun and tanning beds are harmful to your health. You can get that summertime glow with self-tanners; they’ve come a long way.
Dermatologist Dr. Madhavi Kandula has put together some of her favorites for you to look good this summer, the safe way.
Dr. Kandula offers these tips on self-tanning.
1) Exfoliate before applying self tanner. This prevents uneven or splotchy color.
2) Apply body lotion to particularly dry areas such as the knees, elbows and heels as this prevents the tanner from over saturating these areas and causing a tell tale darker color. Also use a towel to blot after applying to these areas to minimize over-darkening.
3) Use gloves to keep your palms from getting discolored. A back wand/applicator or spray self tanners work for hard to reach areas.
4) Apply self tanners at night so they have a chance to develop before showering(water keeps the tanner from working) and also less of a chance on getting on clothes, etc. an hour before bedtime will allow enough time to dry.
5) Exfoliate after three days to keep an even glow and color.
6) You still need sunscreen.