Anger over police shooting of teen prompts protests

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FERGUSON, MO (KTVI) – Protesters chanted “no justice, no peace” as they stood outside the Ferguson Police Department Saturday night following the shooting of a 18-year old by a police officer. Angered by what they believe was an unwarranted attack, several promised to organize daily protests until they receive what they believe to be justice.

St. Louis County Police were immediately called in to handle the shooting investigation. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said Saturday, “We do want this investigated fully and that’s why we asked for the outside investigation.”

St. Louis County police plan to hold a Sunday morning news conference to discuss their efforts.

The shooting happened at noontime Saturday.  The teen, identified by witnesses at Michael Brown, 18, and a friend, Dorin Johnson, were walking in the street on Canfield Drive in the Canfield Green Apartments when a Ferguson officer drove up and ordered them to the sidewalk.  Johnson said they told him they were a minute away from their destination and then they would be out of the street.

After a verbal confrontation, witness Piaget Crenshaw said the officer got out of his car and fired a shot.  Both teens ran, she said, and another shot was fired.  Johnson hid behind a car, but said his friend stopped after a second shot was fired at him.  Crenshaw and Johnson say the teen held up his hands to show he did not have a weapon, however the officer fired at him two more times and he collapsed and died in the street.

Angry crowds quickly gathered and several shots were fired not far from the original shooting scene.  That prompted police to call for help including the tactical squads from St. Louis city and county. They closed off West Florissant at Canfield for several hours Saturday.

Chief Jackson praised pastors and community activists, including Anthony Shahid, who came to the scene to console and talk to the victim’s relatives and neighbors.  Police delayed their crime scene evidence collection until the area was secured.  During that time, the shooting victim’s covered body remained on the street further angering members of the crowd.

An uncle of the shooting victim said his great nephew had just graduated from high school and was thinking about going to college.  He said he was not an aggressive teenager.


Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Latest News

More News