ALTON, IL (KTVI) – A man is recovering Wednesday night after a bizarre house fire.
The fire caused the electricity in the house to feedback to overhead power lines outside and then it moved down their street.
The Alton fire chief says in his 23 years on the job he hasn’t seen anything like this before.
The woman living here told the fire chief that she smelled something funny Tuesday morning, thinking it was a gas problem and called Ameren Illinois.
They came out and told her that it wasn’t a gas situation and she should call the fire department or the land lord.
Three hours later neighbors heard an explosion in the woman’s basement from a propane tank. The tank had caught fire from a fire in the homes electrical panel.
The basement of this home was destroyed.
But the situation could have been minimized if the there wasn’t a propane tank in the basement.