Contact 2 digs into viewer questions about stimulus checks

Contact 2
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS – The IRS started sending out stimulus payments this week, and while 80 million people were expected to get payments in their bank accounts yesterday, we heard from many of our viewers that they are still waiting for theirs.

Viewers have been commenting all day on the issue which we discussed on our Show-After-the-Show segment on Facebook this morning.

We combed through many of the comments and went and found the answers to some of the most asked questions.

The first place you should go to get information is the “Get my payment tool” on the IRS page. Here is the link to it on our site. That is where you can check your status and see what bank account the money is going to.

Here are some of the most popular questions we saw in your comments:

What if they don’t have the right bank account information?

  • The IRS is first sending money to those for whom it has bank account information on file
  • That might not be you if you haven’t received a tax refund over the past two years
  • If you received a refund by a check in the mail, rather than by a direct deposit you can receive it electronically rather than a paper check that may take weeks

What if your bank account information has changed?

  • The IRS says to help against fraud the tool doesn’t allow you to change direct deposit information already on file with the IRS
  • However, if the bank account is closed, the bank will reject the deposit and you will be issued your payment to the address the IRS has on file

What if you are on social security and disability?

  • Supplemental security income recipients will receive automatic payments directly from the IRS
  • These payments are expected to go out no later than early May
  • Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries will also qualify for automatic payments of $1,200 from the treasury.
  • These payments are anticipated to start arriving around the end of April.

What if you haven’t filed a tax return or owe money?

  • If you owe child support payments, your stimulus can be garnished to make up for what you owe
  • If you do owe money over the last two years, you will get your money

You can learn more about some frequently asked questions by heading to this section of the IRS site.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.

Contact 2 has resolved consumer complaints totaling millions of dollars over the years. Those cases have not only brought peace of mind to the consumers who asked Contact 2 for help, but also shed light on allegations of deception and wrongdoing levied against businesses, contractors and government agencies.

Our team focuses on gathering the facts about what happened. The process involves seeking out both sides of the story. It’s not always what consumers want to hear, but we have an obligation to be fair to the entity accused of causing the problem. Working to clearly understand the details is an important part of the job. Sometimes these cases can be resolved quickly. Other times, Contact 2 will spend weeks or months getting to the bottom of the problem. We appreciate the patience of those who’ve asked us to help them.

While dealing with the complaints of individual consumers is a big part of the job for Contact 2, we’re also dedicated to informing consumers of the latest scams, rip-offs and fraud schemes. Technology has made it easier than ever for criminals to target consumers. Contact 2 monitors reports of this activity around the world to help arm the public with tools to protect their personal information and hard- earned money. We share that information with consumers on-air and online.

More local COVID-19 maps and stats

Report scams and rip-offs

Have a question for the FOX 2 Contact 2 team? If you have an issue with scams, bad customer service or getting ripped off then our reporters will investigate.


Call the Contact 2 hotline Monday to Thursday from 11am-1pm at 1-800-782-2222


Fill out this form.


Latest News

More News