ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. – A fire caused extensive damage to a home in the Metro East Thursday morning. Firefighters were able to put out the fire and save the family dog.
The fire started at about 1:30 a.m. in the basement of a home on Superior Drive in the Signal Hill neighborhood, not far from Route 157. Damage can’t be seen from outside the home, but investigators said there is substantial smoke and fire damage inside the home.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, a mother and her two children, 11 and 15 years old, safe outside of the home, but their small dog was still inside.
Firefighters from the Northwest Fire Department got the fire under control and then began searching for the dog. They found the dog in a back bedroom struggling to breathe. They were able to get the dog outside. A special oxygen mask was then put on the dog.
“Getting the oxygen to the dog, the dog kind of perked up real quick and we were happy to reunite the dog with the family,” Eliff said.
No injuries were reported.
Signal Hill Fire Department Chief Tom Elliff said he believes the fire started from an overloaded extension cord in the basement. A box on top of the extension cord caught fire. Elliff credits a working smoke alarm with helping to save the family. The alarm woke up the mother and she was able to get out with her children.