Family gets $3K bill after ambulance breaks down, man dies in it

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LIMON, Colo. (KDVR) — Family members of a man who died after the ambulance he was riding in broke down say they plan to sue the city that operates the service.

In a notice of claim letter, the attorney for Lonnie Hendrickson’s family informed the City of Limon, Colorado that he intends to file a legal complaint for Hendrickson’s “wrongful death” in September 2019.

“While Mr. Hendrickson was in a life-threatening condition, the ambulance stalled en route to Swedish Medical Center. During this time, essential and vital medical care was unable to be provided to Mr. Hendrickson and he expired,” a letter drafted by John Astuno Jr., an attorney for Hendrickson’s family, said.

The family also has questions for the hospital that treated Hendrickson before he was transported to another facility.

“I would just like to know what happened – if it was an accident or what it was. We just want to know the truth,” said Tawnie Baeza, one of Hendrickson’s daughters.

The ambulance broke down in Strasburg, approximately 120 miles into the transport from Limon to the Denver area.

“They … had steam coming into the vents, into the ambulance. They thought it was smoke, but they pulled over … and realized that the engine had blown a radiator hose or something because there was water spraying everywhere when they lifted the hood,” said Rob Handley, who runs Limon Ambulance Service.

Handley said that during his time as director, he has never seen another ambulance break down during the transfer of a patient.

The patient was stable during the trip, he said.

The crew declined to transfer Hendrickson to another ambulance company’s vehicle in Strasburg. Instead, Handley said he immediately dispatched a second Limon Ambulance Service vehicle – with lights and sirens – to the location, and it arrived about 30 minutes after the first ambulance went out of service.

“They both thought it was in the best interest of the patient just to continue on because now, they would have to switch crews which would constitute an interruption of care there,” he said. “I don’t think it would have made any difference if we got there 30 minutes faster or 45 minutes or an hour faster,” said Handley.

An autopsy report obtained by sister station KDVR mentions the ambulance problem when explaining Hendrickson’s final diagnosis.

“During transport to Swedish hospital,” the autopsy says, “the ambulance broke down delaying transfer and care.”

According to the autopsy, Hendrickson died of “acute cardiac arrest associated with three days of intractable nausea and vomiting from an apparent upper gastrointestinal illness.” The report said hypertensive cardiovascular disease contributed to his death.

“I love him and miss him,” said Billie Cozart, one of Hendrickson’s daughters. “I’m sorry that we left him with an ambulance service, and… maybe if one of us would’ve rode with him, things could’ve been different,” she said.

Cozart said she received a bill totaling more than $3,000 for her father’s ride.

“It just makes me mad after everything that happened,” said Cozart.

“I feel like if he would’ve passed away in a hospital, I would have been more comfortable with that – that they tried everything,” said Jessica Garay, one of Hendrickson’s daughters. “But the fact that he was just sitting on the side of the road and passed away there, that hurt. It’s painful.”

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.

About FOX 2 News

FOX 2 and KPLR 11 in St. Louis cover the news in Missouri and Illinois. There are over 68 hours of live news and local programming on-air each week. Our website and live video streams operate 24/7. Download our apps for alerts and follow us on social media for updates in your feed.

President Harry Truman said: “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” That spirit is alive and well at Fox 2. Our teamwork is on display each and every day.

Our news slogan is: “Coverage You Can Count On.” We quite frankly are too busy to worry about who gets the credit. Our main concern is serving the viewer.

We go where the stories take us. Whether it be Washington, D.C when a Belleville man opened fire during a congressional baseball game practice or to Puerto Rico where local Ameren crews restored power after more than 5 months in the dark.

Coverage You Can Count On means “Waking up your Day” with our top-rated morning show. From 4:00 am-10:00 am we are leading the way with breaking news. But our early morning crew also knows how to have some fun! Our strong commitment to the communities we serve is highlighted with our Friday neighborhood shows.

Our investigative unit consists of three reporters. Elliott Davis focuses on government waste, Chris Hayes is our investigative reporter, and Mike Colombo is our consumer reporter. They work in unison with the news department by sharing resources and ideas.

We continue to cover breaking news aggressively and relied on our seasoned journalists to make a difference with the stories we covered. The shooting of Arnold Police Officer Ryan O’Connor is just one example of that. Jasmine Huda was the only reporter who had exclusive access to the O’Connor family during his amazing rehabilitation in Colorado.

Last, but certainly not least, FOX 2 and KPLR 11 are committed to covering local politics. We host debates among candidates and have the most extensive presidential election coverage. Our commitment to politics isn’t just during an election year. We produce two political shows that air every weekend.


Latest News

More News