PONTOON BEACH, IL (KTVI) – Fire destroyed a Pontoon Beach, IL home overnight. There was an elderly man inside. A neighbor says the elderly man needed oxygen for an existing health problem. The fire started around 2 a.m.
When crews arrived, the chief says one of the first priorities was keeping flames away from a large propane tank in the front yard. If that burned, it would have exploded.
Firefighters also heard popping sounds. that was ammunition the victim kept in his house. Chief Danny Kreher says the elderly homeowner did escape.
“One gentleman, the owner, was asleep. He woke. He said the house was full of smoke. He called the fire department, then got out. He was treated at the scene for smoke, refused any other treatment,” said Chief Kreher.
The home was a total loss but no one else was injured.