ST. LOUIS– We are relying on our computers more and more these days and keeping your information safe is paramount. Scott Schaffer, Chief Security Information Office for Blade Technology, says there are a few keys to protect your information.
Get a password manager:
- There are free options like LastPass, OnePass, RoboForm, KeePass, etc.
- Have one password for each website. A password manager is the only way to manage that many passwords
Use multi-factor authentication (MFA) and choose two:
- Something you have- like a flash drive
- Something you know- like a password
- Something you are- facial recognition, fingerprint, retina scan
Update your router:
- Change the administrator password has been changed from the default
- Make sure firmware is up-to-date
Backup, backup, backup:
- Backup your data as often as possible
- It’s your only protection against attacks ransomware
Clean up your social media accounts:
- Remove all personal information such as phone numbers, home address, mother’s name, etc.
- Be careful not to mention if you will be out of town or for sharing pictures with identifiers in it