This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – It has been just over a month since Zella Jackson Price met her daughter for the first time.  50 years ago a doctor at Homer G. Phillips hospital told her that daughter died just after birth. Since their reunion went viral on the internet  more than 100 women have come forward wondering if the children they too thought were dead, may actually be alive.  Others are wondering if they are children taken from their birth mothers or if they have a sibling they’ve never met. The answers lie in documents more than 50 years old.

FOX 2’s Chris Hayes has a special report with newly discovered court documents that reveal proof of a baby stolen at birth from Homer G. Phillips hospital.   The document was found inside an old St. Louis City Court file from 1992. The court record documents what appeared to be forgery and a conspiracy to steal a baby from a blind, illiterate mother.

Two St. Louis attorneys are leading the fight to get answers in the baby mystery. Al Watkins And Donna Clark Frayne work at different law firms. Both strongly believe young mothers at the old Homer G. Phillips hospital were told their babies died just after birth. The attorneys say infants were alive and stolen and sold or given to strangers.

“I’m as close to 100% sure as I can be without saying 100%.” said attorney Al Watkins.

Watkins represents gospel singer Zella Jackson Price who was reunited last month with her daughter Diane Gilmore 50 years after medical staff at the hospital told her the baby died. Watkins says a DNA test confirms they are mother and daughter. Watkins has received hundreds of phone calls from other woman claiming the same thing happened to them.

“We`re not dealing with scam artists. We`re dealing with salt of the earth older African Americans adults women who knows what happened to them.” said attorney Al Watkins.

One of Frayne`s clients is 81 year old Darlene Curry.  She was 17 when she delivered. Curry told Frayne the doctor put gauze strips over her eyes so she couldn’t watch the delivery. She was then was told her baby was dead, even though in prenatal visits the fetus was repeatedly described as healthy.

Frayne says she`s so passionate about the case because she is not only a mother but also a grandmother. She posted a message on the Facebook page for Homer G. Phillips alumni pleading for information.

“I know that someone knows someone what went on in the labor and delivery division and I just want to know if they have the guts to come forward and do the right thing after all these years.” said Donna Clark Frayne.

Watkins says he has cleared at least two cases, death certificates were found confirming the babies really died.

“We`re going to do everything can we do to get them the information they seek.” said Acting Health Director and Commission of Health St. Louis City  Melba Moore.

Acting St. Louis Health Director Melba Moore says calls to the designated phone number for women who have concerns have slowed. She said it`s going to take a while to obtain health records.  They are in a storage facility and it`s not easy to locate a specific medical file even with a social security number.

So far Al Watkins says only four people have retained his services. he tells me he hasn’t signed up hundreds of women because he wants to make sure they`re credible.

“The last thing we want to do is put these elegant women, who have already suffered,  in a position of false hope and do anything other than to be as square with them as possible so we can get answers to them.” said Al Watkins.

Both attorneys are determined to get to the bottom of this. Frayne calls what happened, a sin, a sin of the worst kind.

The stories that have emerged about lost babies has some people wondering if there’ was a problem at Homer G. Phillips Hospital.

Contact FOX 2 if you need help: