ST. LOUIS, Mo. — On Tuesday, a judge ordered recent court actions sealed in the manslaughter case against former St. Louis police Officer Nathaniel Hendren.
Judge Thom Clark said the “order is necessary to protect the privacy of the involved individuals and to ensure the impartiality of the jury pool.”
Last week, Judge Clark said he wanted to see the trial by February 2020.
Hendren shot and killed his police officer colleague, Katlyn Alix, on January 23. Hendren was on duty and wearing his bulletproof vest when he said he was playing with a gun. Officer Alix was off duty and was not wearing a vest when Hendren shot her in the chest.
Fox 2 was the first to report on October 9 about a civil lawsuit against Hendren. The lawsuit also named Hendren’s partner, who was with him during the shooting, and their supervisor. That suit has raised questions about Hendren's mental health and whether he should have even been a police officer.
At present, Hendren is on house arrest in mid-Missouri. He’s set for another hearing November 25. Tuesday's gag order follows actions by Hendren's attorney to get six needed depositions and additional records from the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.
After that lawsuit was filed, Hendren’s attorney said the civil lawsuit was "rife with inaccuracies.”