HILLSBORO, MO (KTVI) – A young man, once praised for saving his grandmother’s life by calling 911, lost his life to a suspected drug overdose.
Brandon Brewer, 23, was found dead early Wednesday morning at a home just outside of Hillsboro. So far the case is only being called a suspicious death, but Brewer’s family believes he died of a heroin overdose.
Brewer’s body was found in the driveway of a home in the 9300 block of Ashbrook Farm Road.
According to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department, there was a 911 call from the house at about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, after the woman who lives there said she heard a noise and then found Brewer dead on the floor of her carport.
According to Brewer’s family, he had been friends with that woman for several years.
Brewer had been raised by his grandparents, who live in De Soto. His grandfather, Herbert Brewer, said the last time he saw his grandson was at about 4:00 p.m. Tuesday. Herbert said his grandson was heading out to meet the woman.
Brewer left in his purple truck, which investigators confirmed was in the driveway of the home where his body was found.
A sheriff’s department spokesman said investigators found drug paraphernalia and a substance thought to be heroin inside the house, but are waiting on toxicology reports before they can determine whether the cause of death was a drug overdose.
“He was going to Walmart to meet this girl because she was going to buy him something for his truck and when they left my wife called to find out how he was doing, she checks on him, and (the woman) answered his phone and said he was sleeping,” Herbert Brewer said.
When Brandon was nine-years-old, he appeared on Fox 2 News, praised for saving his grandmother’s life by calling 911 when he found her on the floor suffering from a heart attack.
According to his grandparents, Brandon was a good kid and an accomplished football player at Hillsboro High School. He’d been working full-time for a moving company.
They said they knew he drank beer and probably smoked marijuana, but they had never known him to do heroin. He was, however, on probation after getting caught in a hotel room with people cooking meth.
A Fox 2 News crew rang the bell at the house where Brewer was found dead, but no one came to the door.
The sheriff’s department said they have no evidence to contradict the story the woman has told them, but the investigation was ongoing.