GRANITE CITY, Ill. - An overnight grease fire at a Granite City apartment gets out of control damaging multiple units and leaving several residents displaced.
It all unfolded at the Village Lane Apartments just off Pontoon Road.
The end unit where the fire started sustained heavy damage but three other units in this same building were damaged as well.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
The Assistant Chief of the Granite City Fire Department Kenny Prazma tells us crews got the call just after 12:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Chief Prazma says when firefighters arrived, the apartment where the fire started was already engulfed in flames.
68-year-old Barbara Lewis lived in the unit where the fire started. She tells FOX 2 she was cooking on her stove when some grease spilled and a fire started.
She says she tried to put water on it but that just made the flames spread. Fortunately, Barbara and all of the residents in the other units were able to make it out safely.
We’re told 10 residents including children were displaced.
An emotional Barbara told us earlier that she lost most everything she owned and she isn’t sure where she will go from here. She says she is still in shock and disbelief over what happened.
Barbara is crediting her neighbor who pounded on doors to wake people up and make sure everyone got out okay.
Two other fire departments also responded here to help battle the flames.