Homeowner kills intruder who claimed ‘God sent him’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

VELDA CITY, MO (KTVI) – A mentally ill man is stabbed to death after allegedly breaking into a neighbor`s house, claiming he had been sent there by God.

Just after 12:30 a.m. Monday morning, Velda City police officers were called to the 7100 block of Manette Drive, where they found a mentally ill intruder, who had been mortally wounded by a homeowner armed with kitchen knife.

That address is in Flordell Hills, which is patrolled by Velda City.

'We don`t want to play that `what if` game all day long, but we are just thankful the homeowner was home to protect his family and we believe at this point that is exactly what the homeowner did,' said Velda City Chief Daniel Paulino.

The first call came in at 12:03 a.m., after the homeowner reported a barefoot stranger appeared at the front door of his house, claiming he had been sent by God, before turning around and running off.

But about thirty minutes later, police say the man returned, this time breaking a front window with his bare hands and then pushing his way inside the front door, again claiming he had been sent by God.

The chief says the intruder was unarmed but violent.

'The homeowner was punched numerous times in the face causing lacerations to his mouth and his cheek,' Paulino said.

'The homeowner at this point grabbed the knife and defended himself (and) the subject was stabbed seven times.'

Fifteen minutes after paramedics arrived, Adam Willoughby, 23, died from his wounds.

Police say at about the same time as the first reported disturbance, Willoughby`s parents, who live just a block away, called to report their mentally ill son had left their house in an agitated state.

Family members say he was schizophrenic.

'I don`t know, he kept saying demons were attacking him,' said Christopher McClinton, Willoughby`s nephew. 'He stopped taking the medication and he started doing better and it just went bad after that,' he said.

Three years ago, Willoughby survived being shot after allegedly jumping over a counter trying to take a gun from a clerk at Mally Supermarket in nearby Country Club Hills.

He pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of Peace Disturbance.

Police say they do not plan to seek charges against the homeowner, who normally would have been at work at midnight, but had the day off.  He was home with his wife and four children when the attack happened.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.


Latest News

More News