Two charged in East St. Louis armed robbery that killed security guard


EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. – Two East St. Louis men have been arrested and charged in a recent bank robbery that resulted in the death of a security guard.

Jaylan D. Quinn, 22, has been charged with armed bank robbery resulting in death, and Andrew R. Brinkley, 19, has been charged with bank robbery, according to a press release from the United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District Illinois.

The incident happened Friday, Aug. 27, around 4 p.m. at First Bank located at 350 Riverpark Drive in East St. Louis. The suspects entered the bank wearing face masks.

One man, who was wearing a white face mask, put a note on the counter that read, “I got a bomb strapped to my chest Put all the money in or everyone die,” according to the press release.

The bank teller gave the man money and the two suspects headed to leave. Before they could, security guard Ted Horn stopped them. The man wearing the white face mask push past Horn and ran out of the bank.

The second man, who wore a black face mask, pulled out his semi-automatic handgun and shot Horn in the head, the press release states.

Horn was pronounced dead at the scene. He was 52 years old and from St. Libory, Illinois.

The suspects drove off in a white Lexus sedan.

Earlier that day, the suspects tried to enter a bank in Fairmont City, Illinois and on Aug. 26, but were not let in due to suspicious behavior, according to an email from the FBI Springfield Division.

After the two failed attempts, they traveled to the First Bank in East St. Louis.

The pictures of the suspects are from their earlier attempts at the bank in Fairmont City. One suspect was seen wearing a black hoodie with a photo on the front and distinct white writing down the arm, “Dunder Mifflin, Inc Paper Company.” The other suspect was wearing a black hoodie with a silver zipper down the front middle, black pants, and black shoes.

The bank surveillance photos led to the identification of Brinkley as a suspect, according to the press release. On Saturday, Aug. 28, around 2 p.m., FBI surveillance of Brinkley’s residence on N. 13th Street in St. Louis led to the arrest of Brinkley and Quinn.

The case is being investigated by FBI-Springfield, Illinois State Police, and East St. Louis Police Department.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Latest News

More News