COLUMBIA, Ill. – Police were chasing a vehicle from Columbia, Illinois into St. Louis, Missouri. The vehicle was traveling at over 115 mph.
Belleville Police tell FOX 2 that the man is wanted in connection with an incident from Tuesday night. Smithton Police spotted the vehicle today. They chased the vehicle to the Columbia area.
The high speed makes the chase very dangerous. There are no officers that pursued the vehicle in Missouri.
The maroon Dodge Charger went over the Jefferson Barracks Bridge into St. Louis County. It was traveling at a safer speed on side streets before speeding off again. The driver then drove to St. Louis City and eventually parked in a garage at Itaska and Nebraska.
A woman living in the neighborhood tells FOX 2’s Michelle Madaras that she thought something was wrong when she saw the car come speeding by. She saw the vehicle park in an open garage. She locked all of her doors and closed her windows.
The man came out of the garage with a gun and broke into a neighbor’s home by breaking a window. He then ran through the building to escape through the front door.
The suspect is still at large. There is a large police presence in the neighborhood searching for the man.
The suspect’s vehicle has been towed away from the garage.
Map of the area where the suspect’s vehicle was parked:
- Watch: Gov. Pritzker announces I-255 construction completed months early
- Big Game Bound Week 7: Battle of the unbeatens
- Tganics Foods meal-prep service delivers healthy foods to your door
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential debate preparations; FBI announces possible election interference
- Third-degree murder charge against Derek Chauvin dismissed in George Floyd death