ST. LOUIS - Two children died after being rescued from a south St. Louis house fire Friday morning. The fire broke out at the home in the 5400 block of Michigan around 5:15 a.m.
Upon arrival, the three victims were found near the front door. Crews were able to put out the fire quickly and only encountered light smoke.
According to the St. Louis Fire Department, a boy, and a girl were in cardiac arrest. They were taken to the hospital in critical condition. The children were pronounced dead at the hospital about an hour after firefighters rescued them from the home.
Fire officials originally said the building appeared vacant when they arrived, but later said the three people who were rescued lived at the home.
The home did not have smoke detectors according to St. Louis Fire Department Chief Jenkerson.
Thankfully, the chief says space heaters did not play a factor in this incident.
However, if you need assistance with paying your utility bills and getting rid of that space heater contact @Heatupstl!
There are programs put in place to help the community.
Please use them.
— Derrion L. Henderson (@DerrionLH) December 20, 2019
5400blk of Michigan - Vacant one story brick dwelling; #fire on the first floor. One line deployed.
— St. Louis Fire Dept (@STLFireDept) December 20, 2019