ST. LOUIS — Two St. Louis police officers were struck by a car along I-64 near Boyle Avenue Monday night.

The incident happened around 6:30 p.m. while the officers were responding to an unrelated crash, according to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.

“While they were talking to the persons who had been involved in the other accident, another car comes barreling through,” said St. Louis Police Chief John Hayden. “Both officers were struck, and apparently some of the other persons who were standing nearby were struck as well.”

Police said a 21-year-old man driving a 2013 Lexus ES 350 on westbound 64 hit an unoccupied marked police Tahoe with its emergency lights on. That police Tahoe was stopped to assist a disabled 2017 GMC Acadia. Police said the Lexus hit the Tahoe and then the Lexus slid into the median and hit the GMC Acadia along with the two officers and the five occupants of the GMC Acadia. The five occupants of the GMC Acadia and the two officers were all standing outside of the vehicles. All of those hit by the Lexus were taken to hospitals and listed in critical/stable to critical/unstable condition.

Both officers were taken to Barnes-Jewish Hospital for treatment. Hayden said he spoke to the officers, who were stable but in a lot of pain. The extent of their injuries was not immediately released. Multiple police officers waited outside of the hospital Monday night for any information on their fellow officers.

One of the officers is a 44-year-old man with 5.5 years of law enforcement service. Police said he was listed in critical/stable condition. The other officer is a 24-year-old man with two months of law enforcement service. He was also listed in critical/stable condition.

Hayden said they have identified the driver involved and are still trying to determine what charges he may face. Police said he is cooperating with investigators and was uninjured in the incident.

A portion of I-64 was shut down after the crash but has since been reopened.