ST. CHARLES, Mo. – Two St. Charles teenagers have been arrested and are facing charges for the shooting death of a Lake St. Louis girl.

According to Lt. Thomas Wilkison, a police spokesman, St. Charles officers were requested at St. Joseph’s Hospital before 8:50 p.m. Saturday for a shooting.

Two teenagers, a 15-year-old girl and a 17-year-old boy, arrived at the hospital after being shot at, Wilkison said. The 15-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to her chest, and the boy drove her to the hospital to report the shooting.

The young girl died at the hospital. Her name has not been released.

Wilkison claims the 17-year-old told detectives they’d been asked to meet two people in the area of Oak Avenue and Perry Street. The reason for the meeting has yet to be determined.

When the 17-year-old and 15-year-old arrived in the area, the two individuals who requested the meet-up approached them on foot, pulled out a handgun, and announced a robbery. One of the armed assailants shot into the car, striking the 15-year-old girl in her chest.

“It happened about 8:33 p.m.,” said Laura Routh, a St. Charles resident. “We heard a gunshot on the camera, and then we have footage of the fugitive, assuming that he is still out there. He ran between my neighbors houses and then just ran up the street.” 

Wilkison said St. Charles homicide detectives canvassed the area from Saturday night to Sunday with the help of the community and identified two teenagers as persons of interest.

“The community partnered with the police department, and we were quickly able to identify two persons of interest in this investigation,” Wilkinson said.  “Last night, St. Charles detectives located a 16-year-old white teenager and a 17-year-old black teenager in St. Louis County. Those two were taken into custody. During the investigation, a nine millimeter Smith and Wesson handgun believed to have been the handgun used in this murder was located and seized from a house here in St. Charles.” 

The boys have been charged in St. Charles County Family Court with second-degree murder, first-degree robbery, first-degree assault, and armed criminal action. Their names have not been released. Wilkinson said that the suspects are being kept in a juvenile detention center until the case moves forward.

The St. Charles Police Department is still seeking answers to unresolved questions regarding the case, if anyone has any information, they are encouraged to contact them.