MISSOURI – The Show Me State is an ideal place for enjoying some beautiful drives loaded with other ways to explore the state. Along with cool fall weather comes bright autumn colors. Leaves changing from different shades of green to a variety of bright oranges and red is a sight to see.
From numerous state parks, rivers, one of the country’s largest natural springs to wineries, shops, and antiques, these drives have it all.
“Visit Missouri” highlights 6 places to drive through in Missouri to discover the colors of autumn across the state. Of the six, four either start or end in the Fox 2 & News 11 viewing area.
1. Hannibal to St. Louis: Highway 79
In Hannibal, mix Mark Twain lore with the shades of fall. Take in the sweeping vista from Lover’s Leap, a huge bluff just outside the city limits. In St. Louis, the Missouri Botanical Garden, Forest Park and Gateway Arch National Park offer a kaleidoscope of colorful foliage.
2. Hermann to St. Charles: Highway 94
Celebrate the season and sample the wine, beer, spirits, and sausage in Hermann as you experience the region’s German heritage and the Hermann Wine Trail.
3. Caledonia to Van Buren: Highway 21
In the tiny village of Caledonia, visit the old-fashioned mercantile store and antique shops before driving south on Highway 21.
4. Cuba to Eminence: Highway 19
Check out the Route 66 attractions and outdoor murals in Cuba before setting out on Highway 19. Steelville, located near the Meramec, Huzzah, and Courtois rivers, is the self-proclaimed floating capital of Missouri.
5. Lake of the Ozarks loop: Highway 5, Highway 54, Highway 52
The hillsides surrounding the Lake of the Ozarks put on a colorful show when the weather begins to turn cool. Drive a loop around the lake by starting in Versailles and heading down Highway 5. Fall color is especially vivid along the shoreline.
6. Table Rock Lake loop: Highway 65, Highway 13, Highway 76
Deep in the Ozark mountains, travel a winding path around Table Rock Lake and Lake Taneycomo to see southern Missouri bathed in fall’s warm colors.
To learn more about these experiences and where to find them go to visitmo.com.
- Tganics Foods meal-prep service delivers healthy foods to your door
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential debate preparations; FBI announces possible election interference
- Third-degree murder charge against Derek Chauvin dismissed in George Floyd death
- Easy Everyday Mediterranean Diet Cookbook
- Big Ten college towns relishing the chance to see football on Saturdays