This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. – Authorities are investigating a fatal fire in Oakville that claimed the life of an 86-year-old woman.

St. Louis County police officers were called the 5300 block of Autumnwinds Drive just after 3 p.m. for a house fire.

Officers arrived to find a single-family home ablaze. Mehlville firefighters responded and extinguished the fire.

Firefighters discovered the body of Joyce Hagiparis inside the house.

The woman’s son didn’t want to talk on camera but said he was inside when the fire started.

The man said, regretfully, the fire started from smoking a cigarette in bed.

It’s unclear exactly how long the investigation will take, but it’s clear by the number of authorities at the scene, this is an all hands-on deck effort to get to the bottom how this fire started.