This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS – A security guard was run over by a man’s car who was breaking into vehicles Wednesday in a Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital parking lot. The man who ran the security guard over ended up dying.

Police have arrested a 26-year-old woman who was a passenger in the suspect’s vehicle. She has been arrested for second-degree murder, assault, and armed criminal action in connection with the incident. She has not yet been charged and warrants will be applied at the Circuit Attorney’s Office.

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department said the incident happened at about 1:30 a.m. Police said gunshots were fired and the suspect ended up being shot in the chest. The man was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police said the security guard is in critical/unstable condition.

Investigators are focusing on a red Kia that was seen in a grassy area of the parking lot. It had damage to its hood and bullet holes in the front windshield. Police towed the Kia from the area later Wednesdsay morning.

Homicide and accident reconstruction has been requested to the scene.

A witness identified as John had just stepped outside of the hospital when the incident happened.

“Heard some aggressive driving, revving of engines, possible gunfire, and a collision. Seen some officers, hear security guards responding to a security guard down…By the time I got over here I witnessed one car smashed, kind of on top of the other one. They said they needed extra hands, and they sounded pretty frantic, so I come over to see if I could assist,” John said.

Police say the 26-year-old woman tried to run from the scene. She was taken into police custody.

A Cardinal Glennon spokesperson released a statement on behalf of SSM Health. 

It reads, “The safety of our staff, patients and visitors is our top priority. We are actively working with local authorities in their investigation. We appreciate the courage of our security officer and our prayers are with all involved.” 

FOX 2’s Nissan Rogue Runner reporter Jason Maxwell was at the scene. FOX 2 will continue to update this story with more information as it becomes available.