Update: The victims have been identified as Mark McQuay, 67 and Dorothy Bates, 70
LEMAY, Mo. – Two adults died Wednesday morning in a south St. Louis County house fire. The fire happened at a home in the 1200 block of Wachtel Avenue in Lemay.
The Lemay Fire Protection District and the St. Louis County Police Department responded to the scene around 10 a.m.
When first responders made entry into the burning residence, they found two adults believed to be in their 60s. One man and one woman were dead in the living room.
The victims’ neighbors are in shock.
“I came upstairs, and I smelled smoke. I thought my neighbor was burning some brush or something,” said Justin Klobe. “I heard the sirens, but I thought my wife was watching TV; she was not. I opened my windows, and I saw flames coming out my neighbor’s window.”
First responders at the scene tell FOX 2 that one of the victims had reportedly called an Uber driver to take them to the hospital. The Uber driver arrived to find a fire at the home, calling 911 to assist at the scene.
When fire crews arrived, they noticed light smoke coming from the attic, though flames had spread inside the home. Fire crews removed both victims from the home.
“All of us are very sad about everything that has happened. We are going to miss her,” Klobe said. “I never wanted something like this to happen.”
Authorities said one dog was rushed to a local veterinarian for treatment. The dog’s condition is unknown at this time.
Investigators have not yet determined what might have led up to the blaze.
The St. Louis County Bomb and Arson Investigative Unit will take over the investigation. Police have not released the identities of the victims.