UPDATE — Arrest made in deadly Clayton shooting

CLAYTON, Mo. – A manhunt is underway in the St. Louis area. A suspect wanted in connection with a deadly shooting in Clayton earlier this week has been on the run for several days.

The Major Case Squad identified 18-year-old Trennell J. Johnson as a suspect in the shooting death of 41-year-old Joshua D. Harris.

The St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office has charged Johnson with second-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of Harris. The Major Case Squad of Greater St. Louis is investigating the case.

Authorities say Johnson remains at large, and should be considered “armed and dangerous.”

According to court documents obtained by FOX 2, Harris was shot after he confronted Johnson while he was allegedly breaking into cars. Johnson had been out on bond for other car theft charges out of St. Louis County from last March.

The shooting happened in the 7500 block of Wydown Boulevard near Hanley Road around 5:30 a.m. Monday. Harris reportedly confronted Johnson about an attempted break-in moments before he was shot. Authorities found Harris dead from an apparent gunshot wound outside his home.

Prior to the shooting, the Major Case Squad tells FOX 2 that Johnson and others were driving around in a white Chrysler 300, breaking into vehicles early Monday morning.

Officers placed evidence markers, including one next to a flip-flop, in hopes for answers. Another officer used a metal detector, looking for something as neighbors learned of the situation.

However, surveillance footage across Clayton helped detectives piece together a timeline and link Johnson to the crime. Police confirmed the man in the footage was Johnson, seen wearing a coat and armed with a gun. Approximately one minute after he left the area, Johnson ran back, still armed.

Court documents reveal that Johnson led St. Louis County police on a high-speed pursuit last March. Authorities say he crashed into a metro bus before turning toward a county police detective and displaying a firearm in a threatening manner. Johnson was charged with resisting arrest and tampering with a motor vehicle in that case.

Records reveal that Johnson posted a $3,000 bond, and that prosecutors initially objected to the court’s authorized bond amount. Detectives say Johnson should’ve been wearing a GPS bracelet and failed to abide by the GPS condition of his bond.

As for Harris, authorities say he had recently moved to the area with his wife and their baby.

The neighborhood along Wydown Boulevard is considered a quiet, safe place. Neighbors tell FOX 2 that they are shocked by the shooting, saying, “It’s not something I would have ever imagined hearing about in this area.”

The Major Case Squad is following up on several leads. They are asking anyone with further information on Johnson or the investigation to call 314-955-0817.