Natural gas smell prompts High Mount School in Swansea, Ill. to evacuate

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SWANSEA, Ill. – High Mount School in Swansea, Illinois was evacuated at about 10:15 a.m. Thursday after people in the school office smelled natural gas.

Swansea Fire and Ameren Illinois’ gas division have been called to the school. They did not find a gas leak.

Ameren is doing a high-pressure test to be certain. The furnace has been turned off.

Students were dismissed early and will not return to school Thursday.

There have not been any reports of injuries or damage.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Popular

Latest News

More News