Officer wounded during Ferguson protests visits Baton Rouge in show of solidarity

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

St. Louis County Police Officer Scott Brown.

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, MO (KTVI) – A police officer who was shot during protests in Ferguson last year is speaking publicly for the first time.

St. Louis County Police Officer Scott Brown was one of two officers injured when he was shot near the Ferguson Police Department in March 2015.

Demonstrators had gathered outside the department shortly after the then-Ferguson chief resigned from his post. Later that night, a fight broke out and shots were fired. Brown was struck in his right shoulder. The bullet exited his back. An officer with the Webster Groves Police Department was struck in the face.

Both men were rushed to the hospital.

“I’m just glad that there weren’t more injuries that day,” Brown said.

Brown spoke exclusively to Fox 2 News from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where he is representing his department at funeral services for the three officers who shot and killed by a gunman Sunday morning.

“It was an honor to come down here, to be able to show these officers and their families that even as tragic of an event that this is, that there is hope,” he said. “Whether it be your personal family or your law enforcement family, we’re always there for you.”

Brown said he remembers the response he received when he was recovering from his injuries.

“The outpouring from the community, the outpouring from departments out of state, around the world, it was unbelievable the amount of support we received during that time,” he said.

He said he is grateful he and the other officer survived, and reflected on his experience in Ferguson.

“I don’t want people to feel sorry for me or take pity on me because I was injured up in Ferguson. That’s part of our job. That’s part of our calling. We know that’s a possibility in our job. And it just so happens that at that time it was my time,” he said.

The suspected shooter, 20-year-old Jeffrey Williams, was charged with two counts of assault and armed criminal action, and one count of firing a weapon from a car, causing injury. Williams will appear in court next month.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.


Latest News

More News