Police: Man threatened officers with samurai sword during standoff

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

[protected-iframe id=”3d5ae289947c3968f7462de40ec3869f-29519413-78365686″ info=”http://WSMV.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=846051;hostDomain=www.wsmv.com;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=385;isShowIcon=true;clipId=12751044;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=fixed” ]

A Tennessee man is accused of threatening officers with a samurai sword, triggering a standoff that lasted for hours in Donelson.

It all started around 7 p.m. Thursday when officers were dispatched to a domestic disturbance call on Wellington Square.

According to the police report, John Gentuso and Ashley Smalling were in the house with Gentuso’s mother.

The woman says her son and Smalling had been fighting all day. She claims Gentuso became violent against her as she tried to get the couple to stop fighting.

The woman told police her son threw a glass cup at her, which caused minor injuries.

Smalling also allegedly kicked and damaged the victim’s car windshield.

When police came, they got the victim out of the house, but they said Gentuso pulled out a sword on the officers. He and Smalling reportedly barricaded themselves inside the home, leading to the nearly six-hour standoff.

SWAT entered the home around 1 a.m. and used tear gas to take the two suspects into custody.

Gentuso and Smalling were treated at the scene for tear gas.

Police said they believe the suspects had been using drugs.

Gentuso is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Smalling is charged with vandalism. Both are being held at the Davidson County jail.

By Hayley Mason

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.


Latest News

More News