This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORMANDY, MO (KTVI) – Police say a man shot himself after an incident near the intersection of Woodstock and Bermuda. Authorities say the officers encountered a suicidal person in Normandy, he fired shots at police and then ran. They say the suspect then shot himself.

According to Normandy Police Cpl. Tameika Sanders, officers responded at around 2 p.m. to the 5800 block of Bermuda for a report of a suicidal subject. The teen was being followed by family members who were seeking help from police and medical professionals.

Sanders said the 18-year-old was uncooperative when police and family members tried to talk to him. He continued walking to the 770 block of Ellington.

When police got out of their vehicles he took a gun from his waistband and began shooting at officers. Sanders said an officer used a taser on the teen. It was ineffective and officers returned fire. The suspect was not struck and fled through rear yards to the 7700 block of Paddington.

Officers momentarily lost track of the teen during the chase and then heard one additional gunshot, Sanders said. Police found the 18-year-old on the ground and unresponsive.  Normandy police recovered a handgun lying next to the subject at the scene.

Officers immediately began applying first-aid. He was taken to the hospital and is in critical condition.

Neighborhood resident Demetrius Young, who lives on Paddington, said he heard five shots and walked outside his front door, saw an officer dressed in blue chasing the man, heard two more shots, and then saw a young man laying on the ground.

The City of Ferguson tweets, “@stlcountypd are investigating a shooting involving a resident today. Despite rumors, Ferguson PD did not shoot a suspect.”

There appear to be conflicting reports as to whether the young man was shot by police or himself.

St. Louis County Police has evidence technicians on the scene.  Ferguson police are also assisting with the investigation.