ST. CHARLES, MO (KTVI) - Major lane closures this weekend on I-70 in St. Charles. This could lead to major traffic trouble for drivers. Despite the closures, business in the area say they are open and are welcoming customers.
The closures are part of work to build a new interchange at Fairgrounds road and knock down the old Fairground road bridge.
Expect significant delays because there are several large events planned in St. Charles this weekend. Point Fest is being held at Hollywood Casino Amphitheater set for Saturday. The Family Area will hold several graduations. Wedding receptions will be held at the Heart Of St. Charles Ballroom.
MoDot is demolishing the Fairgrounds Road Bridge basically right behind the Bass Pro Shop. To do that crews are completely shutting down 70 east between Highway 94 and 5th street. Only one lane will be open on 70 westbound along that same stretch. MoDot suggest that drivers detour around by taking I-64 or Highway 364 or 370.
All lanes should reopen by 5am Monday except the left lane going each direction between 5th street and 94. Those will remain closed for two more months.
Below is the full schedule of road closures, courtesy of MoDOT:
Thursday, May 19
· Fairgrounds Road over I-70 will close at 7 a.m. and remain closed for about 120 days.
· Westbound I-70 will be reduced to one lane with lane closures beginning at 8 p.m. and all but one lane closed by 11 p.m. All lanes will be open by 6 a.m. Friday.
· The entrance ramp from Fifth Street to westbound I-70 will close starting at 8 p.m. It will remain closed for two months. Drivers can detour around the closure by taking Booneslick Road to Route 94 and back to westbound I-70.
Friday, May 20
· Crews will begin closing lanes on eastbound and westbound I-70 between Route 94 and Fifth Street at 8 p.m. All lanes of eastbound I-70 and all but one lane of westbound I-70 will be closed by 11 p.m.
· There will be intermittent full closures of westbound I-70 for about 15 minutes each as crews remove girders from the old bridge.
Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22
· The full closure of eastbound I-70 continues and only one lane of traffic remains open on westbound I-70.
Monday, May 23
· Eastbound and westbound I-70 will be open by 5 a.m. with the exception of the left lane in both directions. Those lanes will remain closed around the clock for about two months.