Prince Harry sues tabloid newspapers for alleged cell phone hacking

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Prince Harry is suing the owners of UK tabloid newspapers the Sun and the Daily Mirror for allegedly hacking his phone.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirmed that claims have been filed in court “regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages.”

The development comes just days after Harry launched a scathing attack on the UK tabloid media as his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, sued the UK’s Mail Sunday, claiming the paper illegally published a private letter to her father.

A spokesperson for the Sun’s parent company, the Rupert Murdoch-owned News Group Newspapers (NGN), told CNN: “We confirm that a claim has been issued by the Duke of Sussex. We have no further comment to make at the current time.”

A source at Reach plc, the Mirror’s parent company, said it was aware of the proceedings but had not yet received notification of them.

Fresh legal claim

It has not been established when the hacking allegations date from, but the new claim means both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are pursuing active legal action against UK publishers.

In an emotional statement issued earlier this week, Harry alleged the British tabloid press was waging a campaign against Meghan that mirrored the treatment meted out to his mother, Princess Diana, who died in 1997 when her car crashed as it was being chased by a paparazzo on a motorbike.

The Prince said he felt some reporting about his wife was “bullying” and that he feared “history repeating itself” — a reference to Diana, who was the target of intense media attention.

“I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person,” he said. “I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

He accused the Mail Sunday of selectively editing the letter to disguise “lies” the paper had told about the Duchess — a claim the tabloid specifically denies.

Phone hacking scandal

The phone hacking scandal emerged in the UK in the early 2000s and led to the 2011 closure of UK Sunday newspaper News of the World, published by News Group Newspapers, and prompted criminal convictions.

Journalists at British newspapers were accused of making payments to police and hacking into the phones of celebrities, lawmakers, royalty, murder victims and other figures in the news. Most cases involved the News of the World, but the Sun and Mirror Group publications have settled cases.

Celebrities who have settled claims with the Mirror group include actor Hugh Grant, while singer Elton John is among a number of stars to settle a claim against News Group Newspapers.

According to Hacked Off, the campaign group which represents the victims of phone hacking, the publishers involved in the scandal could face a total bill for phone hacking of up to £1 billion.

Trademark and Copyright 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.

About FOX 2 News

FOX 2 and KPLR 11 in St. Louis cover the news in Missouri and Illinois. There are over 68 hours of live news and local programming on-air each week. Our website and live video streams operate 24/7. Download our apps for alerts and follow us on social media for updates in your feed.

President Harry Truman said: “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” That spirit is alive and well at Fox 2. Our teamwork is on display each and every day.

Our news slogan is: “Coverage You Can Count On.” We quite frankly are too busy to worry about who gets the credit. Our main concern is serving the viewer.

We go where the stories take us. Whether it be Washington, D.C when a Belleville man opened fire during a congressional baseball game practice or to Puerto Rico where local Ameren crews restored power after more than 5 months in the dark.

Coverage You Can Count On means “Waking up your Day” with our top-rated morning show. From 4:00 am-10:00 am we are leading the way with breaking news. But our early morning crew also knows how to have some fun! Our strong commitment to the communities we serve is highlighted with our Friday neighborhood shows.

Our investigative unit consists of three reporters. Elliott Davis focuses on government waste, Chris Hayes is our investigative reporter, and Mike Colombo is our consumer reporter. They work in unison with the news department by sharing resources and ideas.

We continue to cover breaking news aggressively and relied on our seasoned journalists to make a difference with the stories we covered. The shooting of Arnold Police Officer Ryan O’Connor is just one example of that. Jasmine Huda was the only reporter who had exclusive access to the O’Connor family during his amazing rehabilitation in Colorado.

Last, but certainly not least, FOX 2 and KPLR 11 are committed to covering local politics. We host debates among candidates and have the most extensive presidential election coverage. Our commitment to politics isn’t just during an election year. We produce two political shows that air every weekend.

Popular

Latest News

More News