Professor who was promoted behind bars set to face a judge


**Embargo: Hartford, CT** Ravi Shankar, an English Professor at Central Connecticut State University, reportedly received a promotion from associate to full professor while an inmate at the Hartford Correctional Center.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

New Britain, CT (WFSB) — A university professor who made headlines for getting a promotion while behind bars is in trouble again.

Ravi Shankar, who teaches English at Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

He’s accused of leaving the scene of a crash.

Court records show that Shankar has been in and out of the courtroom 20 times with a number of legal issues.

In his current case, however, he claims it’s just a misunderstanding.

Police said the crash happened earlier this month. Shankar lost control on Route 9 near exit 3 and hit rope guide rails.

Investigators said that, in addition to leaving, his license had already been suspended until July of 2015, and he did not have the proper insurance.

In a different case, Shankar was arrested for DUI as well as giving another person’s license when he was involved in another crash on Route 9.

Back in the spring, he served 80 days in jail for violating his probation.

It’s while he was serving that sentence that he was promoted to full time at CCSU and given a raise.

As a result, Republican Sen. Kevin Witkos is proposing legislation for the upcoming legislative session, which would allow state colleges and universities to perform criminal background checks.

As for the latest allegations, Shankar released a statement to Eyewitness News earlier this month.

“I have valid insurance and I certainly was not trying to evade responsibility. I was involved in a one-car accident with no one else involved and I was informed by some of the surrounding drivers that they had already called the police. I called Triple A, gave them my information and confirmed they were going to get the car. I waited until my wife arrived and then we went home to collect our small children, then went to the tow place where our personal information was left in case the police needed to speak to us.”

As for his status at CCSU, the school said Shankar is still a professor there. Beyond that, it had no other comment.

By Matt McFarland and Rob Polansky

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.


Latest News

More News