CNN — Penn State faced a multiyear shutdown of its football program had it not agreed with the sanctions imposed by the NCAA earlier this week, university President Rodney Erickson told ESPN.
The football program at Penn State faced a four-year “death penalty,” a complete cessation of football activities, Erickson said, according to the ESPN report, as well as fines well in excess of the $60 million levied.
The four-year death penalty option was confirmed by NCAA President Mark Emmert, who said in a separate interview with ESPN that what the network termed “a core group of NCAA school presidents” had agreed on the unprecedented sanctions.
Once Penn State learned of the NCAA intentions, school officials engaged in five days of secret discussions with the NCAA that resulted in the penalties announced Monday, ESPN reported. Those include the record $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban, a four-year reduction in football scholarships and five years of probation. Penn State also was forced to vacate its football victories since 1998, including 111 by the late coach Joe Paterno.
Penn State’s board of trustees was not involved in those negotiations, and some members had expressed anger at not being allowed a vote on whether to approve the agreement with the NCAA, according to ESPN. But in a statement Wednesday night, the board said based on the alternative, it would abide by the agreement.
“The Board finds the punitive sanctions difficult and the process with the NCAA unfortunate. But as we understand it, the alternatives were worse as confirmed by NCAA President Mark Emmert’s recent statement that Penn State was likely facing a multiyear death sentence. The University and Board resolve to move forward together to recognize the historical excellence in Penn State’s academic and athletic programs. We anticipate and look forward to demonstrating our outstanding performance in complying with the sanctions,” the statement said.
If Penn State’s leaders had not taken the actions they did, “I don’t know what the outcome would have been, but I suspect it would have been significantly worse,” Emmert said in an ESPN interview.
Erickson told ESPN that a four-year ban on football could have had a devastating effect beyond football, which is the economic engine of the athletic department.
“I think it is not only best for our football program but best for our entire set of sports and intercollegiate athletes to be able to continue on and have the opportunity to play in that stadium and participate,” ESPN quoted Erickson as saying.
The sanctions are part of the continued fallout from the child sex abuse scandal involving former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted in late June of 45 of the 48 counts he faced involving 10 young victims.
The NCAA action follows an independent investigation led by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, whose report held Paterno and other top Penn State officials responsible for failing to stop the abuse beginning in 1998.
Paterno, who coached at Penn State for 46 years, was fired after Sandusky’s arrest in November. He died in January. Graham Spanier, then the school’s president, was also let go. Two other former university officials face criminal charges related to their alleged failure to report incidents regarding Sandusky’s crimes to authorities.
The NCAA has used the “death penalty” on football only once, shutting down the program at Southern Methodist University in 1987 for violations of NCAA rules. The school also canceled its 1988 season and suffered two decades of losing seasons.
Photos: Notable NCAA scandals
That was not something Penn State officials wanted to endure.
“I want to play football, and I want to play football on television,” Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien said in an ESPN interview.
“Both of those things are possible under the sanctions,” ESPN quoted Erickson as saying.
A group of Penn State players on Wednesday pledged to stick with the university, calling the sanctions, which allow transfers to other universities without penalty, an “opportunity.”
“As a team, we don’t see this as a punishment, this is an opportunity; this is the greatest opportunity a Penn Stater could ever be given,” senior running back Michael Zordich said in front of a group of players gathered outside the school’s football facility. “We have an obligation to Penn State, and we have the ability to fight for not just a team, not just a program, but an entire university and every man that wore the blue and white on that gridiron before us.”
Senior linebacker Michael Mauti said the sanction give the current players “an opportunity to create our own legacy.”
“This program was not built by one man, and this program sure as hell is not going to get torn down by one man,” Mauti said. “No sanction, no politician is ever going to take away what we got here.”
Both players pledged a special effort for the 2012 season.
“We’re going to show up every Saturday and we’re going to raise hell,” Mauti said.
™ & © 2012 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.