ST. LOUIS – Many people consider their dogs a member of the family and want to celebrate Thanksgiving accordingly, while some foods are okay for dogs to consume, others can be dangerous.
Below is a list of safe and healthy foods from the American Kennel Club.
- Sweet potatoes – nothing added
- Potatoes – boiled or baked, no butter, sour cream, salt or pepper
- Apple – seeds can be toxic
- Turkey – no bones or skin
- Green beans
Below is a list of unsafe and unhealthy foods from the American Kennel Club.
- Turkey bones, skin, and gravy
- Mashed potatoes
- Creamed peas
- Chocolate, cookies, pies, and sweets (especially anything containing xylitol)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Raisins and grapes
- Onions, scallions, and garlic
- Yeast dough
- Fatty foods
- Foods containing spices