ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - St. Louis Fire Chief Dennis Jenkerson reminded citizens that portable space heaters can be very dangerous. The fire department responded to several calls Saturday night where space heaters are believed to have started fires.
Cheif Jenkerson reiterated that portable space heaters should only be used with extreme caution, and only in the same room as you are in.
- Only purchase newer model heaters that have all of the current safety features. Make sure the heater carries the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) label.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat - it will avoid wasting energy from overheating a room.
- Select a heater of the proper size for the room you wish to heat. Do not purchase oversized heaters. Most heaters come with a general sizing table.
- Locate the heater on a level surface away from foot traffic.
- Be especially careful to keep children and pets away from the heater.
- Keep heaters away from ALL combustible materials - blankets, drapes, table cloths, clothing, carpets, furniture
- Do not use an extension cord - plug directly into the wall
- Buy heaters with a tip-over safety switch
- Do not use in damp or wet areas
- Do not place on furniture