St. Louis school desegregation program to be phased out

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS (KTVI) – A decades-old desegregation policy that allows city children to attend schools in the suburbs will not be renewed and thus phased out in a few years.

According to our partners at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation (VICC) ruled that beginning in Fall 2019, children will only be allowed to transfer to suburban schools if they have siblings already enrolled there.

The program began in the early 1980s, as the parents of thousands of African-American students sent their children to predominately white schools in the county. Conversely, white students in the county were eligible to attend magnet schools in St. Louis City.

The St. Louis Public School District and state leaders agreed that the desegregation program would shift from being mandatory to voluntary in 1999. Districts could then choose to accept new students for at least a 10-year period. The city and county districts continued to extend the program since then.

St Louis Post Dispatch Education Reporter Elisa Crouch has covered stories of city kids who were helped by the transfer program. Crouch said, “Kids who were exposed to opportunities that were beyond what they would have had, had they stayed in their neighborhood schools in St. Louis.”

Last year, about 4,500 African-American students from the city transferred to suburban school districts. Only 100 white students from the county made the move to attend magnet schools in the city.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

About FOX 2 News

FOX 2 and KPLR 11 in St. Louis cover the news in Missouri and Illinois. There are over 68 hours of live news and local programming on-air each week. Our website and live video streams operate 24/7. Download our apps for alerts and follow us on social media for updates in your feed.

President Harry Truman said: “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” That spirit is alive and well at Fox 2. Our teamwork is on display each and every day.

Our news slogan is: “Coverage You Can Count On.” We quite frankly are too busy to worry about who gets the credit. Our main concern is serving the viewer.

We go where the stories take us. Whether it be Washington, D.C when a Belleville man opened fire during a congressional baseball game practice or to Puerto Rico where local Ameren crews restored power after more than 5 months in the dark.

Coverage You Can Count On means “Waking up your Day” with our top-rated morning show. From 4:00 am-10:00 am we are leading the way with breaking news. But our early morning crew also knows how to have some fun! Our strong commitment to the communities we serve is highlighted with our Friday neighborhood shows.

Our investigative unit consists of three reporters. Elliott Davis focuses on government waste, Chris Hayes is our investigative reporter, and Mike Colombo is our consumer reporter. They work in unison with the news department by sharing resources and ideas.

We continue to cover breaking news aggressively and relied on our seasoned journalists to make a difference with the stories we covered. The shooting of Arnold Police Officer Ryan O’Connor is just one example of that. Jasmine Huda was the only reporter who had exclusive access to the O’Connor family during his amazing rehabilitation in Colorado.

Last, but certainly not least, FOX 2 and KPLR 11 are committed to covering local politics. We host debates among candidates and have the most extensive presidential election coverage. Our commitment to politics isn’t just during an election year. We produce two political shows that air every weekend.

Popular

Latest News

More News