This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KINLOCH , MO (KTVI) – The former acting mayor of Kinloch says she’s been the victim of an assault. Theda Wilson claims  police arrested and physically assaulted her after she called  to report a burglary in her apartment complex.

Theda Wilson says she called Kinloch police Thursday night to report a possible burglary at an abandoned property next to her own.

“In the back of my apartment I called  9-1-1 thinking they were going to help,” Wilson said.

That’s when the  tables turned. When officers arrived,  Wilson thought police would check out the vacant building  for a possible suspicious person. To her surprise, officers said they were going to take her into custody. That’s when Wilson asked police to read her rights. Police were recorded on camera refusing to read Wilson her rights.

Wilson says she doesn’t know why she was being arrested so she resisted arrest. The Kinloch officer called for back up. Two Bel-Ridge officers arrived. Wilson claims the Kinloch officer and the two Bel-ridge officers used excessive force.

Wilson alleges officers bruised her face and arms.

One eyewitness who did not want to be identified gave this account: “The three officers wrestled her to the ground. That did not need to happen.”

Wilson left the scene by ambulance  and  was transported to an area hospital for injuries.

Wilson went to the Kinloch Police Department for answers. Wilson and our news crew were told the incident is under investigation. She then headed to the Bel-Ridge Police  Department to file a police report. The captain welcomed Wilson and our cameras into his office.

“Well, they are not supposed to beat anybody. I’m told that they attempted to place you in handcuffs and you resisted. They got you in handcuffs, you were placed in a car, and a far as they were concerned, they thought it was done,” said Captain Dan Clyne, Bel-Ridge Police Department.

Police did arrest Wilson. Kinloch police released Wilson at the hospital under her own recognizance. Both Bel-Ridge and Kinloch police say the incident remains under investigation.