INDEPENDENCE, MO - A Missouri mother and grandmother are facing child abuse and neglect charges.
This, after a two-year-old was burned on 12 percent of her body from having scalding hot water and bleach poured on her.
The two-year-old is reportedly in serious condition at children's mercy hospital in independence with burns on her head face and back.
Shannon O'Brien reports.
(Scott Lundgren, Victim's Uncle) "Kaylynn is a beautiful little girl. She is bubbly and happy and her laughter fills up a room, to imagine somebody doing something like this to her is you know, beyond words."
This is what 2-year-old Kaylynn Koehn looks like after police say her mother, 25 year-old Katie Grimes poured a mixture of hot water and industrial strength bleach on the child.
(Scott Lundgren, Victim's Uncle)"You can't, you can't even think about it." 1:08 "How someone could do this is just amazing. There's not even words for it."
Police estimate it happened around December 12. On the 13th, Kaylynn's grandparents told police they went to pick up their four grandchildren for a visit, but grimes would only give them three.
(Scott Lundgren, Victim's Uncle) "It was my son's birthday that got them to where we were bringing all the kids and that's when we found out she couldn't come. At first we were told she was sick, then when we found out it was more, we went back."
Kaylynn's uncle Scott Lundgren says it was Kaylynn's older brother and sister who told them Kaylynn had been burned with hot water, so badly that she screamed really loud.
Court documents show, when the Koehn family confronted grimes, she told them, "it's bad, but it is none of your business."
(Scott Lundgren, Victim's Uncle) "It was horrible, I mean, heart wrenching."
Lundgren says they made it their business and went to police. When officers responded, no one was home at first, then later that night, grimes mother, 51 year-old Karen Wynn answered the door and said grimes had taken Kaylynn to the hospital. Grimes has also been charged with child abuse because police say she was in the home when her granddaughter was burned and did nothing to help the child.