Zimmerman’s Defense Nearly Broke In Trayvon Martin Case

News

George Zimmerman apologized Friday to the family of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed African-American teen that he shot in a confrontation that riveted a nation and sparked intense discussions about racial profiling and gun laws. Zimmerman spoke moments before a Florida judge set a $150,000 bond that will let him get out of jail while he […]

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(CNN)  – George Zimmerman is desperate for more money to fund his legal defense.

Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, posted online that they have nearly used up the more than 300-thousand dollars public donations.

O’Mara says he can’t possibly finish preparing for trial in June without money.

The Orlando Sentinel reports O’Mara filed paperwork today (Wednesday) asking a judge to delay the trial.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last year.

Prosecutors say he profiled and pursued the teenager.

Zimmerman claims he fired in self-defense after he was attacked.

Mark O’Mara says they will need to raise at least 30-thousand dollars a month to be ready for trial.

He predicts the defense could cost more than one million dollars.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.

Popular

Latest News

More News