Cardinals shut down pitcher Martinez for 2 weeks

St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Carlos Martinez. Photo by Bill Greenblatt/UPI

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) – St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Carlos Martinez has been shut down for two weeks to build up shoulder strength after an injury-plagued season.

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said Tuesday that Martinez won’t throw before being reevaluated on March 5. Shildt said an MRI this week showed Martinez’s right shoulder was structurally sound.

It was uncertain how this setback would affect Martinez’s status for opening day March 28 at NL Central champion Milwaukee.

A two-time All-Star, the 27-year-old righty was 8-6 with five saves and a 3.11 ERA in 33 games last year, 18 of them starts. The Cardinals had not said for certain how Martinez would be used this season.

Martinez was on the disabled list three times last year with shoulder, lat and oblique strains. He said his shoulder had been bothering him a bit in camp, with some weakness and inflammation.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.

Popular

Latest News

More News